Friday, January 02, 2009

Starting the New Year on the Santa Fe Trail

Not a food entry today as Scott and I went to a wedding so there is no cooking here (although I loved that the bride and groom chose a chocolate frosting cake), but the Santa Fe Trail is where I have started working toward my goal of getting out and just doing something. There is a reason that Colorado Springs is always listed as one of the fittest cities in the country. There are over 105 miles of urban trails and 160 miles of park trails within close proximity to the city. The Santa Fe trail is 17 miles that runs north and south through Colorado Springs. It is a well maintained composite gravel trail that beckons Jed and I frequently. This trail has been my nemesis in training for a half and full marathon as I learned to hate its little hills and mile markers, and it has been a place of refuge when I just wanted to quickly get away. It is easy to walk and run, and despite its easy access is never crowded. If I spend enough time out here, I can enjoy my other new year's goal of getting out of a cooking rut with a little less guilt.

No comments: