Sunday, October 12, 2008

What is your achilles heel when it comes to cooking?



Mine has always been anything involving yeast. Perhaps, it is my lack of focus, or the fact that I have been baking at 6000+ feet ever since I have expanded my interest in cooking. Today, I feel I conquered that a little bit. No, I didn't make bread, but I made my own pizza dough and then grilled the pizzas on the grill. What the heck was I waiting for? I used this recipe for the dough. The dough took about 5 minutes to make and knead in the food processor and then letting it rise for an hour. Grilling the pizzas was just as easy. I think the key is a clean and well oiled grill. I had the toppings ready to use by the grill, and grilled one 10" pizza at a time. About 3 minutes on the first side, turning it once. I then set the grilled side down on a stone so I didn't have to put the toppings on while it was sitting on the grill. I think I need to improve my indirect heating and cooking techniques as the toppings weren't cooking as much as I would like before the second side started to burn a little, but it still gave the taste as though it had been cooked in a brick oven. I don't know that I will always cook them on the grill, but I have given up my need for store-bought pizza dough.

No comments: